20 Things I Wish I Knew in My 30s: A Coach's Reflection
Want to listen to this article? Tune in here.
If I could go back 20 years in time and coach, really coach, my 30-ish self, she would:
- Realize — in her bones, and not just in the Instagram-filled areas of her brain — that she is far more powerful than she realizes.
- Learn how to get off the hamster wheel and create a deeply intentional life.
- Learn that life is long and short at the same time and how to honor both of those truths daily.
- Stop people-pleasing and start powerfully serving herself and those she cares for.
- Learn how to speak her truth with ease and calm.
- Learn how to be a Fierce Giver rather than a Selfless one.
- Learn how to slow down her thinking in order to speed up her achievements.
- Learn to treat her body, mind, and soul like she is an Olympic athlete and save herself from so much physical and psychological pain in her later years.
- Know that she doesn’t need to walk a mile on her knees to earn anything. Respect, love, money, and ease are her birthright and only she is getting in the way of claiming all of it.
- Not pass some of her deepest fears and worries to her children, especially daughters.
- Read life-changing books for transformation and not just information.
- Learn to invest in herself without feeling doubt, shame, and guilt.
- Learn how to communicate, negotiate, and lead more effectively.
- Know that the grass is not greener on the other side, and wherever she finds herself, she alone is the gardener.
- Learn that time management is pain management.
- Stop the endless and futile search for Life Balance and instead learn Life Integration.
- Become more light-hearted and relaxed.
- Learn to play the game of being a corporate citizen skillfully and not as a daily suffer-fest.
- Realize how beautiful she is.
- Gain the courage to launch her own business (again).